Google Custom Search

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

'True Grit'

For those like me who adhere to the values and principles embodied by the great John Wayne and the characters he portrayed, here is a masterpiece of exceptional writing that will take you back to an era in America when we were proud to be Americans--strong, self-sufficient, no-nonsense and outspoken advocates for individual liberty.

Brigid, the author of the piece who describes herself as a 'Celtic lass on a small homestead on the Plains, is an extraordinary writer who creates vivid scenes in our minds with the power of words.

In the post linked above, she took me back to a by-gone era of my boyhood and youth, as I idolized John Wayne and aspired to be like him.

I never quite reached my goal, but I still adhere to the values of those movies that depicted a time in America when men were real men, where guns were not evil but positive tools, where it was admirable to stand for something against all odds, and where fighting for the right, for truth, justice, and freedom was not an option but an unquestioned responsibility.

Be sure to read Brigid's post in its entirety, and then tell her how much you appreciate not only her gift as a wordsmith but her stand for liberty.

No comments: