Google Custom Search

Saturday, May 09, 2009

Follow-Up to 'Don't Tread on Me' Controversy

It seems that the veracity of the story about the man in Louisiana who was detained by law enforcement due to his bumper-sticker that says 'Don't Tread on Me' is in dispute.

As a follow-up I noticed that World Net Daily has a major, exclusive story on this matter.

The WND reporter contacted the persons involved in Ball, Louisiana, and spoke directly with the person detained by police and his sister-in-law. Their names are being withheld by WND.

Contrary to the opinion of some, I have not found WND to be untrustworthy. I do admit they publish stories that sometimes can be hard to verify due to the extreme sensitive nature of their content...and the fact that you won't find these types of stories reported by anyone else.

And this is why I see their value.

On the other hand, Texas Fred is a blogger that I trust. He says that the story is not true.

Here is Fred's reasoning:

Knowing the cops in that part of the country, the ONLY thing they would have said about that flag is, 'Hey man, where can I get one of those??'

Unless, and on this I am only speculating, unless this happened to be a Dem and/or a Black officer, and then, yeah, this could be real...

Those guys in that part of Louisiana are still flying the Stars and Bars and have *Be a MAN, Join the Klan* stickers on the back of the pickup!!

Something about this story stinks man, not your part, you're reporting from the source, I am going on experience, and the fact that I am from Louisiana, it's my home, and the fact that our entire family, both sides, mine and the wife, are cops, past, present and retired, and the Louisiana branch have ALL called BS on this one...

Just sayin'...

I have absolutely no reason to doubt or question Fred's integrity as he has been a stellar example of honesty in the time I have known him.

But I do believe there is more to this story than what meets the eye. It may not have been Ball police officers that pulled him over. It could have been any number of law enforcement agencies--county, state, etc.

I am also certain that they would not pull him over for merely displaying the bumper sticker, although that may have been an unspoken, underlying reason for doing so. They are not going to subject themselves to legal and disciplinary action, but cops use all sorts of legitimate excuses to pull over drivers, when their ulterior motive is something different.

We also must not forget that the Obama administration sent out a memo to all law enforcement agencies in the country alerting them to the now-infamous 'potential homegrown terrorist' allegation directed at patriotic Americans.

One thing is for certain, if the story turns out to be false, I WILL retract it. Until we get clear proof, stay tuned...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup and a lot of cops routinely use illegal and made-up excuses/lies to pull people over. Then they often steal money and property from their victims. Happens all the time.

Welshman said...

Well, this is the thing I'm saying. Lots of stuff is done 'off the record' and illegally. I grew up in small town southeast USA, and I knew cops. It is done. Sometimes for honorable reasons, and sometimes not.

Increasingly these days, though, it is done for dishonorable reasons. Just talk to David Codrea about that.

Anonymous said...

One underdocumented, under the radar trend is the homgenization of law enforcement.

In contemporary America once Police Academy Credits are issued anywhere they tend to be transferable everywhere.

Enter head hunting agencies who can offer a cop in say,California a better deal-better pay, better hours, less overt danger etc and suddenly a cop in Michigan/California who has been
marinated in the gungrabbing culture of those states is patroling the highways of Texas.

There can be significant cultural clashes.

With the "blue wall of silence" such clashes can be papered over in favor of the LEO.

Just saying,

In Liberty,

JohnJacobH
(www.johnjacobh.wordpress.com)

Welshman said...

Precisely...excellent point, John.

TexasFred said...

Where IS that follow up?? What kind of journalists ARE those WND guys?? You could WALK to Ball, La by now...

And in case you haven't noticed, no other news source, not even FOX has picked this up...

Welshman said...

Fred,

I don't have any more on this yet. The update here was the WND article, which I had not read when I published my first article about this. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

TexasFred said...

Somehow, I doubt there will be an update from WND on this one... For ALL of my previously stated reasons...