Google Custom Search

Friday, November 21, 2008

Dems to Nix the Right to Secret Ballot for Workers

With the assault on free speech and gun rights initiated by the election of Barack Obama and a greater Democratic majority in Congress, it is not surprising that the Dems wish to torpedo another basic cornerstone of our democracy--the secret ballot.

It has long been assumed that in free societies individuals have the freedom to choose their leaders and make their policy preferences known through the secret ballot--free from the coercion inherent in public votes.

But during the campaign Barack Obama stated that he is in favor of ending secret ballots for workers when they vote on whether or not to unionize.

His Democratic partners in crime agree, mainly due to the fact that the entire lot is in the hip-pocket of big labor unions. They have been bought and paid for by big labor.

And big labor wants to force workers to vote to unionize by shaming them into it through the use of a public vote.

The labor union movement in America is a story filled with corruption, coercion, threats, and even murder. Can you imagine the pressure on an ordinary worker who is against unionization but is forced to make his opinion known by a show of hands, particularly if most of his co-workers are in favor of it?

The thing that makes the Obama-Democrat plan even more galling is the fact that even the Dems in the House and Senate often use the secret ballot for votes, such as they did recently with the election of the Chair of the House Energy and Commerce Committee.

But the Dems would deny that right to American workers when it comes to voting on whether or not to unionize.

This is just one more example of the hypocrisy of the Obama-Democrat assault on the rights of citizens. While keeping for themselves the right to a secret ballot, they would rob the citizens of that same right.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only when individuals develop guts will we be free from shit like this. I used to belong to the United Association of Journeyman Pipefitters, Plumbers and Apprentices of the United States of American and Canada.

When my small local union was to be incorporated into a larger and more malleable local union in the state, we were informed by the UA representative to the meeting, one Jack Wheatley, that we would vote for the merger, and we would vote for it unanimously.

I stood and said " You sonofabitch, you work for me, you will not tell me how to vote, if you think you can, step outside and bring your two goons with you, I'll send all three of you motherfuckers back to Detroit in boxes."

Out of 250 men, I was the only one who spoke up, only 11 voted against the merger. Later, on jobs, quite a few came up to me and said they wanted to vote with me, but were afraid to do so.

One man, whom I had worked for and with several times, and whom I had respected told me, "I wanted to vote no, but I was sitting right up front." I never respected him again. Though I did pity his wife. No woman wants a man without balls.

Since 11 of us voted against the merger and the rest voted the way they were commanded, it was not a unanimous vote. At that point the president of the local union, one J.W. Kincannon,who was rumored to be a tough man and one of the most dangerous men in Oklahoma, made a motion that the merger be accepted by acclamation. (an equivalent). It was seconded and verified by voice vote.

Within two years, our work had disappeared, we were all on the road and the large local that took us over kept only their original members working anywhere near home, just as I had warned.

Needless to say, I never again considered J.W. anything worth worrying over, nor did I ever again hold respect for my fellow members.

Secret ballot of no, guts is what is required. Lack of that cannot be overcome by secret ballot. It just makes it a little harder for the bastards who would rule you, but rule you they will if you don't have the guts to brace them.

Anonymous said...

If you wonder why I named two men and not the other, I mentioned, it is simple. Two of them were aggressive, one was just cowardly. I seldom out cowards as living with themselves is punishment enough.

Welshman said...

SA, yes, I know we have to have guts. But at the same time, it's the principle of the thing...giving up the secret ballot is, well, UN-American!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely agree with you about secret ballots, but secrecy will never replace courage.

Welshman said...

Agreed...