Google Custom Search

Sunday, January 25, 2009

They Won Too, Mr. President

It's too bad I wasn't at the meeting that occurred on Friday afternoon during which Barack Obama went neanderthal under criticism, telling one Republican Congressman, 'I won. I will trump you on that.'

Now, wait just a minute. Whoa!

What do you mean you will trump him on that? You mean to tell me you think you are the only one who won an election in 2008, Mr. President?

On November 4, 2008, literally hundreds of various elections were held around the country, including dozens in the U.S. House and Senate. Many of those who were elected are opposed to the Obama agenda.

If he had said that to me, I would have responded in this fashion: 'Mr. President, congratulations on winning. But you are not the only one who won. I won my election too, you know, back in my home district? The voters in my home district sent me here to represent them and their views. And as their representative, I am here to hold your feet the fire and let you know that not everyone is awe-struck by your presence and your ideas.

'So, let's not forgot that everyone sitting at this table 'won' or else we would not be here representing the people.'

The word 'arrogant' has been used incessantly to describe Obama in the aftermath of that meeting, and with good reason. It is the height of arrogance to suggest that because he won, nobody else won.

Is his election the only one that matters?

Apparently so, if you are the newly anointed One.

But those who are not drunk with power and who have their feet firmly planted in reality know that many elections are won and lost in a general election, not just the Presidency.

The conservatives who sit in the House and Senate in Washington were elected by their constituents. And in so many various ways their jobs are much more important than the President's.

And thus, in all of the false euphoria of Obama idol-worship, let's not forget that they won too.

2 comments:

Joel_ said...

Did Obama get the memo that he doesn't control the Congress? We have separation of powers for a reason.

Welshman said...

Obama not only didn't get the memo, but he wouldn't comprehend it if he got it...