Google Custom Search

Thursday, December 18, 2008

To Minimize and Marginalize

This blog is essentially about human liberty. If there is a common thread that holds all if its posts together it would be the fight to protect freedom and to stand against ALL attempts from ANY source to encroach upon that freedom.

One thing I have noticed after roughly 2 years of blogging is that there is an element in the blogosphere that will attempt to minimize and marginalize your voice unless you 'tow the party line,' i.e., agree with them.

Some time ago a fellow blogger warned that there are those around and about who would definitely attempt to minimize my voice.

This is 100% true.

The Liberty Sphere has been totally ignored by some who have received nothing but constant attention by me via the links to their blogs.

But I would be remiss without quickly acknowledging that this group is a minority. Most of you have been most supportive at one time or another.

I realize that this blog is not everyone's cup of tea. My opinions are strong, and I WILL fight for them. I don't mind calling a spade a spade, and that includes 'sacred cows' such as the NRA, the GOP, the Libertarian Party, Google, or any other group or entity that I think is headed down the wrong path on an issue.

This stance has included advertisers. I dropped American Express when they accepted a government bailout.

In fact, I have dropped ALL advertisers at this point. I am not going to be 'beholden' to anybody or afraid to speak my mind for the fear it may 'offend' someone. If anyone wishes to advertise here it will be due to their support for this blog's main purpose--to promote human liberty.

This goes for bloggers and readers as well. If my views on the 2nd Amendment, the 1st Amendment, politics, religion, or any other issue costs me readers and support, then so be it. I would rather forever dwell in the deepest bowels of blogosphere hell than to sell out my convictions in order to placate a misguided audience that may bring me a lot of 'traffic.'

I am not going to kiss ANYBODY's ass. I am my own man and I am capable of thinking quite independently and choosing my own path. I don't need either your approval or your permission.

If this means that I will only have a few hundred readers forever and ever, so be it.

But I will not budge. I will not back down. I will not tone down anything that I feel strongly about. And if this means you can't stomach it and thus won't support this blog, then perhaps all of your supposed support for 'free speech' is nothing more than bullshit.

Free speech, free expression, etc., is about nothing if not supporting speech that you may not like.

Come January I am going to have a 'tip jar' on this blog. If you like what's here, if you support my objectives, then you can support it of your own free will.

Oh, and to those of you wish I would just go away, I will quickly add that I have no intention of going anywhere. I am here to stay. So live with it.

Free speech, free Press, the right to free religious expression, the right to assemble freely, and the right to carry and use guns--these are the things I cherish.

Many obviously believe these values are no longer worth fighting for in America. You won't find that sentiment here. If these values are going down, they are not going down without a fight.

Central to human liberty is truth. And I am going to tell the truth come hell or high water.

16 comments:

AlanDP said...

The eternal conflict between the Socs and the Greasers--the popular kids and the unpopular--goes on. It was before the internet, it continued on usenet and later on web forums, and it keeps on going in the blogosphere. 'Twas ever thus.

Fortunately many of us Greasers don't give a rat's ass for the Socs' approval.

Anonymous said...

Just keep doing what you do. Political correctness sucks, whether it's righty or lefty. It's too bad more don't recognize it before they go off half-cocked.

Jay21 said...

Alan, great Hinton analogy!
D. Martyn, hold the line. You write better than me and cover a much broader range. If they don't agree with you, that is what debate is for, if they "want" to silence you, i say send in the wolves. Besides if you don't link to me my readers drop waaaaaaaaay to much.
Jason
III

Welshman said...

Glad I can send some traffic your way, Jay. Heaven knows we who cherish liberty are not in the majority on the Internet. We need each other. There are never too many voices for liberty.

Anonymous said...

I don't always agree with you but please don't go away.

Welshman said...

As I said, I have no intention of going anywhere. And thanks for your support! You don't have to agree with me.

Thirdpower said...

Hey, I love ya' man.

Welshman said...

Third...well, gee, that merits a cigar or something! LOL.

Thanks for all your good work over at the Trailer Park, Third!

Tam said...

"Some time ago a fellow blogger warned that there are those around and about who would definitely attempt to minimize my voice.

This is 100% true.
"

Dang!

Who's trying to stifle you? Let's kick they're butts!

Welshman said...

Hiya, Tam! Glad you stopped by.

It's good to know I can count on you if I need help in giving a good butt-kickin'!

Anonymous said...

You and I may not always see eye to eye, but I will be buggered if I would ever let someone else squash your voice. You write what you want, and the rest of them can hang.

(Of course, me being one of those unfortunates who would get almost no traffic without your links might affect that too... ;).)

Welshman said...

LOL! Thanks, Linoge. I always like to hear that The Liberty Sphere has brought a fellow blogger some traffic.

Syd said...

I read you every day, and you have been in my blogroll forever. You definitely send me traffic and I appreciate it. I find it refreshing that you don't toe to party line. Illegitimi no carborundum.

Welshman said...

Syd, if my memory serves me you are one of the first ones I linked to. And you have sent me traffic as well. Thanks for all you do. Though we have never met I consider you a cherished friend.

Ride Fast said...

Never heard of you until today. It's like that sometimes. Stay with it, you have one more fan as of today!

Welshman said...

Thank-you, and welcome to The Liberty Sphere!