Google Custom Search

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

One of those nights

I spent a good deal of the day at the doctor;s office and the pharmacy. I am beat, and when I am beat I find it hard to sleep. So, here I am.

The song I ran across tonight brought back a lot of comforting memories. The message really speaks to me, plus the writer is a good friend of mine, now retired, who spent 55 years as the stellar baritone for the Florida Boys -- Glen Allred. Glen did not write many songs, but when he did you could rest assured it was an exceptional tune and carried a very moving message.

Glen wrote this song for The Inspirations back in the early 1970s. These guys started their group four years before I started mine. Their claim to fame was their devout Christian beliefs born and bred in the Great Smoky Mountains of North Carolina. And, since they were mountain boys their singing had an authentic mountain gospel flavor that you can't find anywhere except in the N.C. mountains. But millions of fans around the world loved their singing not only because it is an original part of authentic Americana but because these guys were and are Christian gentlemen, the salt of the earth.

Glen's song perfectly captures that flavor. It has a haunting melody that is realistic about this world of woe yet ultimately hopeful in that the Christ of all the ages is the Lord of all, even the storm.

Glen, if you happen to read this, thank you for giving us such a gift as I find in this song.

He Brought Me Out (Allred)

No comments: