Google Custom Search

Monday, May 05, 2008

Tax Rebates and Firearm Purchases

Recently I had opportunity to gather with a group of acquaintances for a dinner party. In a room adjacent to the dining area about ten of us were gathered to smoke our pipes and cigars, and to engage in a bit of chat.

Someone in the group broached the subject of the Bush tax rebates, the first wave of which has already been sent out in the mail. The question was what we intended to do with our rebates.

Would we pay some bills? Put it in savings? Or would we do as we have been encouraged to do and use it to purchase goods that will stimulate the economy?

Several offered their intentions about what to do with the money, and then it was my turn. I told them I planned to buy a new firearm.

A part of me made that comment for the express purpose of creating a row--knowing that most within the room were squeamish about the citizenry being entrusted with the ability to own and keep firearms.

The other part of me made the statement simply because that is exactly what I intend to do. I need a new firearm, and what better way is there to stimulate the economy, bolster my own self-defense, and exhibit the patriotic, independent spirit of the Framers of the Constitution than to purchase a gun?

My acquaintances, however, seemed to take a dim view of my plan. In fact, I must have shocked them speechless. The room grew totally quiet...so quiet in fact that you could have heard the footprints of a feline on carpet.

No one said a word. The only reaction was a collective stare in my direction as if I had insulted John Kerry.

And then, as if awakening from a brief, 10-second trance, they all began to pick up right where they had left off in the conversation before my show-stopper.

So this is the point to which we have descended in 'polite' society in this nation, and it has been a long, long descent from the lofty ideals of the men who put their lives on the line to give us this free country.

In spite of the fact that I went to this shindig against my better judgment, rationality finally kicked in as I realized that I no longer wanted to be in the presence of these sophomoric, self-righteous, and sanctimonious snobs that inhabit the social circles of the Left.

Oh, and, by the way, since most liberals do not believe that we, the taxpayers, should get a rebate in the first place, I certainly will be expecting all my acquaintances at the dinner party, along with all of the rest of the esteemed Left, to turn their rebate checks back in to Uncle Sam.

After all, I'm sure they wouldn't dare be so overtly disingenuous as to accept their tax rebates while at the same time condemning the whole idea. Of course not. Liberals are entirely too honorable to commit such a dastardly act of hypocrisy.

No comments: