Google Custom Search

Sunday, May 18, 2008

McCain the Jerk

So John McCain goes to the NRA Convention in Louisville, Kentucky, and during his speech he states that he wants to ban private gun sales between citizens.

This is in addition to his support for closing the so-called 'gun-show loophole,' which is a bogus argument because there is no such thing.

Therefore, my assessment of McCain today is that he is a jerk.

Don't get me wrong. I would do just about anything to make sure neither Obama nor Hillary get elected (and believe me, McCain is a perfect angel when compared to the two of them!).

But as for today, my feeling about the matter is that the choices the political parties gave us this year almost make me wish there were a Constitutional provision for special circumstances in which we elect NO ONE as President. And I am absolutely livid that the GOP gave us such a lame lineup of 'talent,' with the exception of Fred Thompson.

Thus, if the Democrats are neo-Commies (and they are!), then Republicans are jerks. And McCain is the jerk of the jerks.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I didn't even hear this!

With the stone idiot, the Huckster, making such a pathetic attempt at a joke no one has even mentioned this yet.

THIS is the last straw!

WE stopped Gore, WE stopped Kerry and we'll stop ANYONE else who pretends to be smarter than our founding fathers and the inalienable right which preceeded our Bill of Rights.

This TEARS it!!!!!
\

Unknown said...

I just checked YouTube and didn't hear McCain say that...did I miss it between all his platitudes or what?

Where did you hear or see him say he would sign illegal legislation to end all private sales??

Welshman said...

Here is the paragraph that contains the statement in question:

"Over the years, I haven't agreed with the NRA on every issue. I have supported efforts to have NICS background checks apply to gun sales at gun shows. I recognize that gun shows are enjoyed by millions of law-abiding Americans. I do not support efforts by those who seek to regulate them out of existence. But I believe an accurate, fair and instant background check at guns shows is a reasonable requirement. I also oppose efforts to require federal regulation of all private sales such as the transfer between a father and son or husband and wife. I supported campaign finance reform because I strongly believed our system of financing campaigns was influencing elected officials to put the interests of "soft money" donors ahead of the public interest. It is neither my purpose nor the purpose of the legislation to prevent gun owners or any other group of citizens from making their voices heard in the legislative process."

Note that McCain says he opposes federal regulation (and bans) on private gun sales between family members. What he conveniently does NOT say is that he supports federal regulation of private sales between those who are not members of the same family.

In fact, I find the entire paragraph to be highly problemmatic.