Google Custom Search

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Trash Talk and Accents

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: Philadelphia

Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.

The South
The Midland
The Northeast
The Inland North
Boston
The West
North Central
What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz

I saw this over at Breda's blog and I wanted to see how it turned out for me. I was shocked. Philadelphia? I've been there, and I don't sound anything like them. But the 2nd most likely choice, The South, is more correct, although most tell me that mine is a mild southern--more like a southern Midwestern accent.

Back when I was in college and graduate school, I basically lost my southern drawl. I thought I had to be sophisticated, urbane, and sound similar to a national news anchor.

Well, as I have grown and matured, I have learned to say 'The HELL with that. If they don't like my accent, they don't like me. This is who I am. It's how I was raised, take it or leave it.'

Sooooo, you are likely to hear much more of a southern drawl out of me today than at any other time since I was in high school.

Oh, and one more thing for all you Yankees out there (that's anyone in the country who doesn't live in the South), y'all just don't know how to tawk. So don't be a-telling me nothing about no accent, cuz I ain't got one! Y'all are the ones with the accent! (he he).

And don't be a-makin' fun of my drawl either, cuz I ain't gone put up with it!

YE GOT IT????

Ok, so I am drinking German dark beer and smoking my pipe tonight (with some fine tobacco shop blend)...I am not responsible for anything written here tonight.

2 comments:

Pribek said...

Funny.
Years ago I worked with a sax player that I was in the habit of calling "Yankee". One night he said, "I'm from so far up north that Yankees live south of me." Took the wind out of my sails.

Welshman said...

Hiya Pribek. Glad to stopped by.

Oh, by the way, I need to change the name of your link on my list of blogs. I know that 'Trouble Ain't Over' is you, but that's the name of your latest CD.

So, your comment reminded me I need to revise your link.

Take care!
Martyn