Google Custom Search

Friday, October 20, 2006

Robert Palmer Rockin' Out



Let me share with you a dark secret. I like Robert Palmer's music. This comes from one who likes nothing better than to sit down to a relaxing piano concerto by Chopin or a rousing symphony by Tchaikovsky. Yet the rocker's music always fascinated me by its mixture of the hard, driving rock beat presented by the suave, sophisticated presence of a singer who dressed as a lounge performer.

Palmer's career was marked by a roller coaster ride of ups and downs, with each peak accentuated by a string of hits. His highest peak occurred in the 1980s with his string of MTV video hits featuring mini-skirt clad female band members backing up a well-dressed Palmer who sang songs such as 'Simply Irresistible,' 'Addicted to Love,' 'She Makes My Day,' and many more.

Robert Palmer died a couple of years back at the age of 54, suffering from a heart attack while on holiday with his American girlfriend. It was a great loss.

Rockers are not known particularly for having the most notable singing voices. Most are mediocre at best, relying instead upon heavily choreographed dance moves, techno-centric backup music that hides the singer's flaws, and hype from recording moguls who make stars rather than discover them.

Palmer was different. While he did not possess an overwhelmingly proficient vocal talent, he was a cut above the rest, as is evidenced by his lovely song, a love song, entitled, 'She Makes My Day.'

Palmer shines as he intones the lyrics--

I'll never be lonely now,
She fills my heart with joy.
She just has to smile to take my cares away,
She just has to touch my hand to make me stay,
She's all good loving at once, she's all good loving at once...

Here's to the memory of a great artist!

No comments: